Saturday 19 March 2011

Whoooosh....another week gone!

Well, week and a half since my last post actually :-/

So, first the sad news: A's remaining guinea pig - Fred - had to be put down. Apparently he had a rather large tumour, and at six and a half was getting on a bit. He is now buried next to his brother - Ginger - in granny's garden.

RIP Freddie

On the HE front, things have been going very smoothly :-)

American history has been quite a theme for the last few weeks. We're still working our way through this book, currently looking at the American Revolution. We're also getting towards the end of To Kill A Mockingbird (which we seem to have taken ages to read) and I have the film version and a documentary about the book recorded and ready to watch. All providing much material for some very interesting discussions!

A has also developed an interest in manga graphic novels, which she has been devouring, and doing her own manga-style sketches too. We recently got questioned - with a look of suspicion - on whether the graphic novel we were getting out of the library on my home educator's card was "for studying purposes?" which I thought was a bit weird. How can a book not be educational?
I really appreciate the fact that we get a HE card - I think its great that the library recognise us in this way - but it seems a little strange that they now want to put restrictions on what is and isn't suitable "for studying purposes". Anyway, I smiled and replied "yes", and we got the book.

On the work front, I feel like I'm putting loads of time and effort in, but there seems to be very little to show for it. Yet! Hopefully this groundwork and gathering of info/updating of skills will pay off in the not too distant future.
What I'm planning to do is get more research/admin type work coming in, so have been on some workshops and signed up for a couple of courses to help me on my way with this.
What I urgently need to do is set up a website. I've been procrastinating on this for ages - I know its essential, and apparently quite easy to do, but (typically for me) I became a bit obsessed about 'getting it right'. I looked at loads of different sources for advice and got thoroughly confused about the best approach to take. So, for fear of getting it wrong and appearing unprofessional, I did nothing.
Thankfully I think I've found exactly the guidance I need through business gateway who offer lots of free resources for the self employed (including workshops on website building), so at last I feel like I'm getting somewhere.

A is off to a sleepover party tonight, so I will have the house to myself. After being forced to watch the comic relief stuff until 1am this morning, it will be lovely to have control of the TV. I'm planning a night of watching horror films in the dark, to see how terrified I can make myself. Such fun.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

My daughter is also crazy about manga/anime. She has read books, watched tv shows and movies. But her passion has been drawing the characters for two years now with no end in sight. If you would like to take a peek at her pictures my last post shows some.
Blessings
Diane

K said...

Hi Diane, thanks for popping by!
I'll head over to yours and have a look :-)
x

Nikki said...

Sounds very positive on both the HE and the work fronts. I can just imagine the consternation over what books a home ed child might use for "study" purposes!

Jessica said...

Sorry to hear about Fred, its hard to lose a pet, esp for a child.Seems like you must have done something right though because I had no idea they got that old.Hugs to both of you.

K said...

Hi Nikki and Jessica :-)

I'm not sure how to feel about the library thing - on one hand I feel we're really lucky to get our own card with extra allowances, but why give us that then hassle us over our choices!?! Hmmmm...

A seems to be doing ok re Fred, he was quite an old man! A's cousins have just got two baby guinea pigs so I think she's a little jealous now :-/

Kx