Tuesday 18 November 2008

Beaulieu

Towards the end of our holiday my brother took us to Beaulieu, where there is the national motor museum, palace house, and what really interested me - the old ruins of a 13th century Cistercian abbey.

I am now an atheist, but was once a devout Catholic considering a vocation, and there is still something about monastic life that appeals to me. Cant quite figure that out, as its all about praying when it comes down to it, so without the belief its a bit pointless. Maybe its the silence.


This big stone was once part of the monks washing facilities.



At a distance I thought this was some kind of cemetery, but its bits of the old abbey



Bit of a doorway thing going on here.
We loved the idea of this 'secret staircase' in the palace house -
weren't allowed up it though!


No comments: