Wednesday 3 September 2008

Drama

A went to another drama workshop today with the home ed group, which she thoroughly enjoyed. There was a girl there who went to her old school (although in a higher class) and it was lovely to see them connect. There were some other girls there who A really likes and is starting to get to know a little bit now we've been to a few group things. I loved the fact that the drama teacher got the kids to work with different partners during the class, I think it pushes them to interact a bit more than they generally might, but in a safe context.
The weather was good for us, so most of us went for a picnic afterwards in the park. I had some interesting chats with some of the other parents, and am feeling a bit more comfortable now with the social side of it. It all seems pretty relaxed.

It struck me today how much more tuned in to A I am, I suppose its a natural consequence of spending so much time together. There were several incidents today where she almost burst into tears over very minor things, and I was able to take the time to chat with her and get to the bottom of what was bothering her. It turned out that she was worried that she'd upset a friend she hasn't seen for ages. I know that in the past when she's behaved like this I've got irritated and not taken the time to sit down and just give her the opportunity to reveal things in her own time, in her own way. I think this is one of the best things about home educating - I feel like I'm being a proper parent, doing all the things I should have been doing when I didn't have the time because we were always rushing somewhere.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

it is a really good drama class - we must make sure were free for the picnic afterwards, next time :)

very interesting to read your observations of changing and becoming more in tune - I noticed this with my children too.

K said...

It would be great if you could join the picnic next time - hopefully we'll be lucky with the weather again!